7.1.14

Seeing the light....

 Well, the dining room lighting decision is made... finally.
...no more deliberating...I've placed the order!

I feel in equal parts, a bit sick and elated....

This particular interior specification process started waaay back with the embryonic house design in 2009. At that time, I envisioned a single stunning crystal chandelier over the dinning room table. A counterpoint to the proposed minimalistic architecture; a style I was personally unfamiliar with and a wee bit uncomfortable.

As posted HERE, David first vetoed, then approved of the idea, but only once I'd accepted it wasn't going to happen! The decision process thereafter has continued to be tortuous (a reminder can be found HERE and HERE)

As the house has formed though, and with growing clarity, I have learnt that I quite like clean lines combined with simply used traditional materials. The slow progress due to financial restraint, has been a blessing in disguise. . .

Sooo, here is a pictorial recount: the evolution of THE decision ....

Chandelier or Light Shade Shade Mooi
The initial concept was a traditional chandelier, then the combination of modern drum / chardy.
David disliked both. Humph.

George Nelson Pendants (love the Bubble Saucer)

I briefly entertained the idea of a Bubble Saucer fitting but when I realised they're made from fabric I shied away from the concept. A domestic godess, I am not!.

Dunlin Stanley Hammered Copper Pendant, Tom Dixon Copper Shade
My newly acquired love affair with brass and copper lead the search to these two beauties but I'm not sure they would look right as I do not have any other references in the half of the house already completed . ?

Roll & Hill Agnes. Jason Miller Modo. Bocci Lights
Ah....now these were all PERFECT....with the exception of their cost which was unfortunately, equal to a small nation's annual GDP. Damn that budget!

Christopher Boots Lighting
I didn't even investigate these stunning hand made pieces of art. I have drooled over them though. Lots.
Marcel Wanders Skygarden Luminaire
These then became the most likely contender. A nice mix of contemporary with the surprise traditional interior reference.

Revisiting chandeliers and a few other concepts...iron framed pendants, glass conical shapes and fabric drum shades.
More styles considered....if I'm still looking then I figure I'm not 100% certain...

Gold Lined, Black Drum Pendant Shades
...back to gold. This time for the interior. Nice. But a fabric shade problem again!

Tom Dixon Beat Light Stout

And then, HALLELUJAH! Modern  / Classic. Metal Durability. Gold interior 'surprise'.
Tom Dixon Beat Light Stout.

The search is over. I've seen and found THE Light!

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback! If you enjoy my ramblings, perhaps consider following by Email, Bloglovin' or Google+. Join this site via Google Friend's Connect so I can follow you too!

7 comments:

  1. Love your choice! Can't wait to see the real life picture. I understand what you're saying about fabric shades. I have a fabric shade and it's in my kitchen. It's only from ikea though so when it gets a bit yuck I'm just going to toss it. I'm still looking for ny proper dining table fixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I really want to get this stand- out feature right aesthetics wise and as the decision making process has been so protracted- a never to be repeated scenario. Living so close to the ocean has been eye opening regarding salt damage. Fabric deteriorates asap and even marine grade stainless steel rusts. Many decorative objects can't handle the pace, sadly. Thanks so much for your generous assistance with the toile fabric! Can't wait to take an excursion to your little slice of heaven. X kl

      Delete
  2. I love it!!! I cant wait to see it installed. Easy clean is the best option for sure, there are enough things to do as it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you betcha re the easy clean department! Sadly, there's a considerable wait for these pendants. damn! March is one helluvalong way away. Hope I don't get cold feet now! Eeeek! X kl

      Delete
  3. Oh, fab choice! But what an exhausting journey. One of my favourite bathrooms was one I designed with a series of 3 Beat lights over the bath and vanity, and then we placed copper bowls of soap on the ledge…utterly classic….utterly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your endorsement! I sincerely value your opinion. It has been a long, and drawn out process....sometimes having lots of time to decide can be an enemy regarding decision making! Love the idea of repeating the copper accents as you did in, what sounds like, a gorgeous bathroom. Hopefully I can have some subtle references throughout too for uniformity and flow. X kl

      Delete
  4. Such a good choice and nice to see that we've gone through similar tumultuous waters to end up with a classic contemporary look above our respective dining tables!! I'm much the same - if I have to wait a while to make a decision due to budget constraints or availability, I end up changing my mind a million times!! So pleased you found something so perfect! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL