20.6.15

Compromise

Compromise has been a dirty word as far as this build has been concerned. I regarded it with the same contempt and revulsion as the word Budget. 
Ewwwwh...
 The truth is...I have ignored the so called 'elephant' in the house room. 
What we've still got to do, to complete this project, and what money we have to do it with, do not equate. We were happy to 'do' bits as finances allowed but to be honest, David and I are a bit over it. 
If I want to get this project over-the-line and, want to enjoy living here with all the planned amenities, then I've got to get serious about my attitude to both words; Compromise and Budget.

Now, never fear, I'm not talking about any near-enough is good-enough caper. No. Definitely not.

But I am considering....

Do I need to spend $18K on carpet? Could I live with the a lower density version for $10K?
Can I buy a Bunnings stick-on mirror for behind the door to the WIR instead of having the door back professionally mirrored? (It would look soooooo good....)
Should I fit the three built-in desks to the kid's bedrooms with laminate tops, not stone as planned?
Can I live with blinds only in the living areas? Do I need window coverings here at all?
Would painted block retaining walls look acceptable compared to stone clad versions?
Will a coloured concrete driveway be aesthetically acceptable v's pavers?
Can a painted display niche look as good as a mirrored one?
Can I use freestanding joinery pieces instead of custom joinery for the playroom, office and lounge?
Can I compromise on my vision and furnish more economically with similar-look items?
Do we need the security system and intercom that are wired for, but not installed?

Unless of course, I find one of these....


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

10 comments:

  1. Ok, been there done that! Here are my thoughts:
    lower density carpet, with high quality underlay
    stick on mirror is ok
    laminate tops to kids desks - my laundry worktop looks fab. No one will notice the difference.
    Only put blinds/ window coverings where you need them for privacy/ blackout. I have minimal blinds in the living area (only on the 4 windows overlooking the street for privacy).
    painted block is ok - most should be covered by landscaping once it's grown (?)
    pavers for driveway (sorry!)
    mirror for niche (too small an extra cost to worry)
    freestanding joinery for the playroom, office but custom for lounge.
    spend money on lights, cushions and art. Furniture will not be noticed.
    leave security and intercom unless you need it for your personal security. Otherwise leave it a couple of years (won't make a huge amount of difference).
    Good luck! H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi...your reply here has been DEVOURED with enormous gratitude! I so appreciate your insight and opinion. I'm surprised and wonder re the carpet and the driveway suggestions. Would you mind elaborating? Waiting with baited breath!!!!!! x KL

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJune 21, 2015

    This dilemma is a regular of mine too, but I'm not letting it effect my move in date. I'm happy to wait for my wants. If it takes a year or two after I move in to get built in joinery, that's fine by me. In fact, I'm even willing to sleep on the floor and lounge in old furniture until we are in a financial position to buy what I really want in terms of furnishings. I know that the wow factor when we first move in is not going to be there and it's not going to look like a magazine, but I'd hate to be replacing things in a year or two because I compromised.
    Heidi's response is great! I agree on pavers. We are planning to lay a cobblestone driveway which requires a concrete base. If necessary, we may have the concrete based laid first and cobbles added later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Johanne. And I am SOOOO with you on not altering that move in date! I think the problem here is that we DID move in a few years ago and are still in such a state of 'unfinishedness' if there is such a term! I sooo agree with your ideas though...in fact (if I really want to be honest) the reason we're not finished the 'build' is because I have bought the decor before the house was finished and thus created the balance deficit. Thank God I'm not in charge of the government!

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 22, 2015

    Ha ha! Honesty is a good start. I hope your husband has a good sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um. No. But he is extremely tollerant....and when I pull "what? this old thing" out of a dusty box and pull the whole house together at the end (that's the PLAN....!?) we'll be grateful of the slowly aquired pieces....now I'm being the humourous one!

      Delete
  4. On no....welcome to my world! It is always a compromise, but I'm sure you'll make good decisions :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy...I actually think it is EVERYONE's dilema regardless of budget. Even the most generous of budgets have their limits too. I've just been in a bit of denial, but am back on track.... Thanks for your vote of confidence, with such a slow build I keep changing decor direction so hopefully it will all pull together in the end!

      Delete
  5. aarrrggghhhhh!!!! Terrible words, but sometimes amazing design ideas come from these limitations. Im surre it will all look AH-mazing no matter what way you go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Trish! I know what you mean...sometimes compromise and limited moolay makes you more creative, and less is more, right? ! I think the drive to just get the house FINISHED will encourage me to stay focussed....x KL

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL