21.11.14

Christmas


Some years, I am bursting with enthusiasm about the upcoming festivities and enthusiastically prepare to celebrate with gusto. Others, I approach the season with a bit of a Ho - Hum attitude. 
Unfortunately, this year is unfolding as the latter.


It may be because this will be the first year, in 25 years of motherhood, that there are no Santa believers in my household. J, newly 12, realised the truth at Easter and sobbing, also lost the Tooth Fairy and Santa in one painful moment of realisation .

It could be that my life has been recently touched by friends grief. The loss of a Grandmother, the sudden departure of a young Mum, a long battle lost by a child. And the sad memories of losing of my Father-in-law and Aunt rekindled.

Or the stress of a looming client deadline - with them immigrating from overseas and anticipating a completed home for Christmas. The tile supplier informing me this week that their tiles (ordered in August) are quite literally on a slow boat from China...W.T!

Perhaps, as my adult children establish their own lives, and extended family grow, the coordinating efforts to celebrate together has become such a drudgery, that the event has lost its lustre.


Maybe I'm just tired.... The Table Debacle was resolved only yesterday.
The top floor bathrooms show no further progress because our tiler became unavailable.
Mattress gate concluded a fortnight ago.

Or perhaps it's the heat. It's hot! I'm hot. And honestly, just not bothered!

 Trying to look on the positive side, with less than 5 weeks before Christmas, I am very relieved to have purchased 98% of our gifts.
The wrap is really to go and my 2014 theme decided; metallic + white
(which is rather unoriginal as Christmas 2013 was bedecked similarly)

I might try and action the tree this weekend. It can only end one of two ways....
The Christmas spirit will either be created or drunk...



x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Yep, some years are better than others. I feel though, that unwrapping a few presents, generously partaking in a few Christmas drinks and a pleasant meal, can lead to all else being forgotten for one day. (BTW, you've done exceptionally well to have held onto Mr Claus for so long.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your kind words.. . the 'funk' continues but am rallying. We were amazed too by the longevity of Santa this time round...almost greatful of the expose before high school, sad as it was!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low and un christmassy! I don't know what's happening in the world. We have lost a lot of people too lately and it just doesn't make sense. That tree cracks me up!! Metallic and white is lovely. You poor little man. It's always a hard realisation and after 25 years I'm not surprised it has you feeling a little funky! I am sending you Christmas cheer from here and know that all your wonderful encouragement and support is very much appreciated. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, thanks Jess! The tree is up and some 'spirit' restored....your comment is most appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I still believe in Santa. I just know that that belief is the result of careful planning and secrecy by my wonderful mother <3 - S xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too sweetie. Mwahhh! xo mummy

      Delete
  4. I hope things are looking up, and that you have a great 2015. But first, Merry, Merry Christmas.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! Christmas eventually became a joy. In fact, seemed to be over too fast! Looking positively towards 2015...best wishes to your family too! x KL

      Delete
  5. I hope that after all this your Christmas was enjoying filled with a few laughs and bits of coal ;). It is hard trying to get all the family together for Christmas. I sorry to hear that the lead up to Christmas was stressful and sad. At least it is over for another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Fleur. We did have a lovely celebration and I am back in a positive mind set! The coal delivery was hillarious! The best present received and unanimously voted as such by all I think! x KL

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL