17.1.14

Thoughts on Flooring...Scandi style

I have lamented the drawbacks of renovating / building over an extended time period before. Many times in fact. I've rarely mentioned any positives though, but there are a few!

The best one is being able to let the house grow organically....one decision leading to the other with consideration to what has been done before. And, this accommodates aesthetic shifts in direction....

 I'm very attracted to Scandinavian Design ATM. Although elements of this are already part of my style; the minimalistic, clean and monochromatic, I'm further honing my love for stark contrasts.

When I started this blog, my decorating frame of reference was this:


Now, it's below: 

  Images from favourite blogs: HOFP, left and Stylizimo, Right.

Less formal yet still predominantly black and white. It's the percentage of each that has changed....
The 'gloss' level is downplayed and the floors are light...

Images like these have had me re-questioning the colour and finish for the proposed timber floors, re-examining all options as we get closer to having to make this crucial decision!
Today, I'm loving the following;




Much lighter in colour, wider in plank size and engineered in structure.
Such a mammoth difference to what I would have chosen twelve months ago!

As these boards are factory finished, building dust may also be a thing of the past for La Hacienda!
David was impressed with them when specified for a client's project and we laid them in Mum & Dad's recent reno too. We're still doing some homework but, they appear to be very stable, the finish being virtually indestructible and are definitely easier / cleaner to lay in comparison to solid timber boards.


All these images are of European Oak in various finishes / colours because that's what we've been seduced by. They're all wire brushed and matte finished too. *sigh*

Because they're wide though, our parquetry concept would have to be tucked back into the ol' memory bank for another house...

Oh well, too bad, so sad....

Eenie Meenie Miny - Mo! The lounge room and hall floor is COVERED with sample planks!

...I predict a decision announcement VERY soon. Yippee!


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. 
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback! 
If you enjoy my ramblings, perhaps consider following by Email, Bloglovin' or Google+. 
Join this site via Google Friend's Connect so I can follow you too!

6 comments:

  1. Hi. We have just laid our floors in bamboo wide planks but in a very dark color. These against white and grey walls and furniture looks great too. In fact I love it. I do love the lighter colours but they do show all footprints and dirt. I don't think you can go wrong though. I love the look you are aiming for. The bamboo product is more durable than real timber and environmentally friendly. Good luck with your choice. Can't wait to see what you choose. G. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giuliani. Your comment came through in another section so I hope you don't mind me re pasting here. I have been 100% wanting dark flooring for the last six years but....damn those lighter tones are sucking me in! I've heard other wonderful recommendations for bamboo but the oak characteristics have me drooling. I know it's not a dense timber but I think the factory finishes achieve a hardness and durability to the surface that an in- house applicator cannot achieve. STILL debating all the pros / cons and colours though, thank you so much for your valued opinion. X kl

      Delete
  2. You can't go wrong! They are all beautiful. But I know how agonizing those decisions are, believe me...and I feel for you. At least it's not a bad problem to have! Happy weekend!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a major decision; I'm terrified I'll get it wrong and not achieve the mood I'm after for this house. You're comment "at least it's not a bad problem to have" is too true Stacy! I've been dreaming of this day for a l o n g time, it's pretty exciting to now be close to ordering it! X kl

      Delete
  3. Hi KL I work in a display home for Manor Homes & we have the Oak Venture Plank flooring in the lighter colour in our display home at Branxton. Its beautiful & a very practical product. Its been down for over 3 yrs & see's a fair amount of traffic. If you like I can email you some images of the house. My work email is trish.evans@manor.net.au let me know if you would like some pics . We get ours supplied by Havwoods flooring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish
      I would definitely love to see some pictures of the flooring used in the display where you work. David was SO against engineered wood product but I've got him appreciating it's benefits over solid wood now.
      Thank you for your offer to send pics of this product! Every image helps with the decision making!

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL