13.10.13

More custom design!


 My lounge looks like this today....Eeeeek! But, I'm overjoyed!
The custom designed vanity and shaving cabinetry for the guest ensuite is in this lot, as well as my entertainment unit for the family room. Yee Ha!

The vanity will look the same as the one I designed for the main bathroom (posted HERE) but instead of floating over a wall of mirror, the large mirrored shaving cabinet will be above to supply copious storage. See an inspirational picture below:


Trying to get the details right was a nightmare. Simple looks easy, but getting everything to line up perfectly and be flush is very challenging. My fingers and toes are firmly crossed that when David installs it all, all those triple checked measurements are correct!!!!

I'm hoping that the custom entertainment unit is going to save my sanity too.
A tall order, I know...
As many of you are aware, living in a home being renovated is difficult, so say the least. Living in a half built house, over a long period of time, is also. Both David and I are just about 'over-it' and as David has just commenced a new project in Sydney (adding commuting to his schedule), I anticipate work here will be negligible. So, I've decided that taming the mess pictured below, is a priority.


The black Chinese cupboard can be relocated to...(? !) and all that equipment can disappear behind two-pac doors. I initially designed the unit with wide drawers but after receiving the quotation, changed them for doors which reduced the price by two thirds!!! I still have to get a ceasarstone top made for it...


I chose to have the exterior sprayed in satin two-pac (shows less fingerprinting than gloss) in the same colour as the walls; Dulux Natural White. I had planned to hang it on the wall so it floated like the ones in the images below...


 ...but am now considering adding support to make it portable should we sell this house.
Wall hung, full steel base or just legs is the next dilema!
These units are similar in idea...

I've got a fair bit of mess-sorting to do before anything more can be done so better put that to the top of the list for now! Would love to hear your thoughts...

and look forward to showing you the finished project soon!

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. 
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback! 
 If you enjoy my ramblings, perhaps consider following by Email, Bloglovin' or Google+. 
 Join this site via Google Friend's Connect so I can follow you too!

6 comments:

  1. Loving your lounge! It's a sign of very exciting things to come :)
    Looking forward to seeing all the cabinetry go on. Very excited for you!

    Am also very excited by your tv unit. We were going to get one custom made, but couldn't justify the cost in the end. I think making it portable sounds like a fantastic idea!

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments B. Without them, I think I might be blogging in a vacuum! LOL! I played around with the entertainment unit design to get the cost achievable. My non-compromising factor was size; 2700 mm was my ideal length to balance the room's dimensions and custom was the only way to achieve that. To keep costs down I needed to forgo drawers. They are (very roughly) $250 each;the mechanisms being the costly factor and there's no cost cutting in branding....if you use drawers then you want the right brand of fittings when big weights are involved! Anywho, DVDs & Bluerays in tubs on shelves will have to surfice...I'm drawing up base designs ATM!

      Delete
  2. KL, what are your thoughts on plantation shutters on sliding doors? We've got a 4 panel, 3.6m wide sliding door, the middle two being openable. MrB is putting pressure on me to order the remainder of the plantation shutters and we would like to get it all done in one hit. But I am a bit unsure about plantation shutters on this huge sliding door.... In order for the two middle ones to be opened, the louvres will need to be closed, therefore visually closing off the two outer panels... I kind of wonder what is the point of having 4 panels, if only two will be letting sunlight in :(

    Would love to hear your thoughts <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn and Bugger. Your thoughts on functionality seem to have you snookered! I agree in totality with your statement
      " In order for the two middle ones to be opened, the louvres will need to be closed, therefore visually closing off the two outer panels... I kind of wonder what is the point of having 4 panels, if only two will be letting sunlight in :("
      The only option I can see is having the shutters hinged differently (bi-fold) or in smaller panels (8) to maximise the opening. obviously both options require generous tracking and stacking space. I've never had shutters so am a bit out of my depth here B, but I do agree that at their considerable investment, you're wise to think it all through and not rush the decision. x KL

      Delete
  3. Thank you lovely <3

    Waiting for the plantation shutters people to draw up what the bifolds would look like and how they would be fixed to the limited amount of reveal around the doors... Hope it works out.

    Not having much luck latelly... Just when I thought we had the brikkie booked in for the front fence... he came back with a revised quote which was 50% higher than the original... for no reason. I told him to get lost (not in those words). So back to the brikkie search yet again. Ugggh.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. W.T.! ? That is really odd. Better you found he was dodgy before he started though. Finding good tradies is difficult; consider looking in local papers for a local, retired fellow. They are usually honest, can provide references, and give great results but you need to be patient re timeing. Can't recommend anyone as you're interstate unfortunately! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL