28.9.13

DETAILING: Guest Bedroom / Ensuite

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was getting the Guest Bedroom Ensuite vanity and shaving cabinetry made and it occurred to me that I haven't posted about this area of the house before. 
So here we go....



Although having relocated from Sydney to the Central Coast eons ago, the benefit of being able to provide guests with accommodation has become entrenched. 
Initially, as an unanticipated single Mum, I bought my eldest daughter a double bed to be utilised by the occasional guest (Nana & Grandad) whilst she happily snuggled with Mummy.

My eldest daughter's bedroom circa 1995; aged 7
  17 years on, friends and ever welcome interstate family, have cemented this need.

Located directly off the entry in this house, the guest suite offers privacy for the inhabitants and the host family. (Us. He he!) There is a small robe and en suite and easy access to the secondary kitchen on this level.

In retrospect, I should have utilised the entry coat cupboard as a small robe for this room, allowing a more generous en suite experience. My original plan was for a walk-in-shower which was thwarted by a lack of a few centimetres depth.... Ah....the value of hindsight! *sigh*

The detailing of these rooms were quite complicated and a bit disappointing in their conclusion, proving that even seasoned renovators can 'get it wrong' occasionally!


 I realised that the best way to enjoy the view, for this rooms inhabitant, would be a reflected image from the bed, as seen above. (excuse the mess!!!!) I created a niche for a mirror and although it works perfectly, it negated the opportunity of using a cavity sliding door to the ensuite (the opposite wall cavity houses an in-wall cistern). We were snookered! Damn!
A traditional swing door was installed, reducing valuable floor space and further changing the walk-in-shower to an enclosed style due to light switch placement!
One change ripples on to many....

Anywho, it doesn't now 'work'. The room is too small for an inward swinging door and we've breached the building code too. The door will have to be changed to outward opening or re-hung with removable hinge pins for access in emergency situations!

TIP! If a change to plans is required, follow through mentally with ALL repercussions before committing! In this situation, I could have just hung that mirror on the wall, had a CSD unit, saved money and gained better aesthetics and functionality!

TIP! Ensure all inward opening bathroom / W.C  doors meet the Building Code of Australia:

"Clause 3.8.3.3 sets out that access should be possible by having either a door that opens outwards, a cavity or face-of-wall sliding door or for a door that opens into the sanitary compartment, that it be readily removable from the outside, i.e. capable of lifting off its hinges, unless there is a clear space of at least 1200mm between the closet pan and the nearest part of the doorway."

So...we'll be renovating before we finish building! LOL!
The joy!!!!

The ensuite to this room was based on many inspirational images but the major consideration was storage as I wanted a minimal floating vanity. (Concept below)


By recessing mirrored shaving cabinetry you gain additional storage which compensates for limited space within the vanity unit itself. It's no-bending access too = extra ticks!

TIP! In small bathrooms, hide as much in-wall as possible. Think cisterns, doors, storage, niches'.  It eliminates visual clutter whilst optimising space efficiency.

For continuity, finishes (including underfloor heating) in this ensuite match those in the main bathroom which is also located on this level. 

*Crema Perla Marble *Dorf Motif Towel Rails *Scala Basin tap *Caroma Cube wall hung pan *Gerberit in-wall cistern & flush plate *Dorf Myriad Shower rose * Parisi Box semi recessed sink

So, there's this area posted. We're currently using it as our bedroom / ensuite before moving upstairs and it's messy, hence the lack of pics! More to come with the imminent joinery fit-out!

x KL 

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

6 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your "renovating before finishing building" comment :(

    It's so frustrating, isn't it? I keep noticing scuffs in the paint on the walls and what not and it is driving me insane...

    Your guest ensuite will look sensational, and I look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes B, as soon as you're finished it's time to start again! I remember Paul Hogan lamenting the same issue when he was a Sydney Harbour Bridge painter!
      Unfortunately we've run into the Christmas rush for manufacturing....we've been given a lengthy lead time but at least it's progress! Can't wait to finish another room and post celebratory pics!!! x KL

      Delete
  2. KL, you know the downstairs bathroom vanity... I've decided to center it, thanks to your advice. But now I'm thinking if vertically splitting it into 3 and having the right most section as drawers would make the drawers way too small to be functional... I am thinking of maybe splitting it into two instead and having a door on the left and 3 x 500mm wide drawers on the right. The top drawer would be partially unusable due to the size of the undermount basin though. Would this look ok?

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Had a quick squizz on your blog to check..know it. To be honest, B, I don't think the split into threes an option re width. As it is an 'incidental' bathroom (not main for cherubs) or your ensuite, I think two doors would be the easiest, most cost effective and aesthetic solution. If you're hell bent on drawers then two wide drawers (even though Allot of space wasted in top) will look best. I'd only go that route if toothbrushes and such are accessed daily from this vanity. Of course these are only my opinions....
      X kl

      Delete
    2. Thank you!!!! <3

      I've let our cabinetmaker know so hopefully he gets a move on :)

      B

      Delete
    3. Good luck with it! I've just been told the guest ensuite vanity will be delivered here on the 9th. Yay!!!!!

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL