4.7.13

Bits 'n Bobs

 We are in the middle of the first week of school holidays here. Holidays = Sleep-ins = Bliss. 
J's been busy with 'sleepovers' which seem to be the 11-year-old thing-to-do. I miss him.


 David and I took J and a mate to Singleton to visit the Australian Army Infantry Museum (David taking a day off work to do so) on the recommendation of a fave blogger. Might've been a good idea to check their opening times....closed on Tuesdays nearly caused bloody WW3!

Anywho...the four hour drive included a lovely lunch at the Potters Hotel Brewery. Open fire, great food, a game of pool, choc tops...no more needs to be said, really.


 The steel base for my 'wish-list', family room coffee table is complete! (planned way back HERE). Now I need to get it powder coated and the timber top made. (Might not be pressing Davey for this ATM....LOL!)


The Main Bathroom mirrors are in; there's NO hiding! (1) but I'm yet to clean and style...
Still sorting through Ray's belongings and preparing a worthy Memorial Service (2 & 3)
(4) Hello George! Considering these tiles for a feature wall in Mum's bathroom. ?
Skeletal baby bird. (5) Thanks David, but I like my taxidermy free of 50 years of cobwebs!
My heart melted when my son gave me these after a play day at a mates. 11 years old and 'man' enough to give these to me in front of them. Mwaaah! (6)
(7) How can THIS baby be one?
Over joyed when Davey offered to cook....(8) but W.T.F has he done to my oven?!
(9) A local riding a 'static wave' as Avoca Lake burst through it's bank into the sea. Amazing!
Boys. Mud. Mates. (10) Evidence!


x KL

 Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

11 comments:

  1. So glad you went with the mirror floor to ceiling. It looks fantastic! Yay for the sleep ins and men cooking dinner ❤

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very overwhelming after living with our temporary arrangement for so long! Certainly has WOW factor though! (And I'm thanking God I'll never have to shower in there!) Eeeek!!! x KL

      Delete
  2. KL, I've been puttying up the holes in the architraves and door jambs... What is the best product to use for filling in the corners where architraves meet? It's so fiddly to get putty into those lines :( .... Also, what about the gap along the door stop (is that what it's called?) where it meets the door jamb? I am thinking No More Gaps, but am thinking wiping it off might be a pain... or should I use a water spray with a bit of dishwashing liquid and then wipe off the excess with the ice cream stick? Or will this damage the wood? Uggggh. So much drama :(
    But at least I managed to prime all the edges and one side of the two doors today :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fill all nail holes and yes, the mitres with Timber mate wood filler. Leave proud, let dry and palm sand till smooth. Prime everything. Then use No-More Gaps in wall / architrave gaps wiping off excess with damp rag. The ol' dishwashing liquid spray is used on silicone around a bath / tile joint. Good luck! x KL

      Delete
    2. Thank you KL!!!! So No More Gaps is the way to go for the gaps where architraves meet the walls and door jambs meet the door stops? I am not looking forward to the sound of a damp rag against timber. Eeeek!

      Ah yes, I've been using Timber Mate, no idea why they call it putty here :(

      Should have worn a dust musk today while sanding the holes - my sinuses don't like dust. Doh!

      Delete
  3. Yup. Correcto! Door stop being the rebate of the door jamb, architraves are the framing timber around jamb. As it will be primed before gap filling, a damp not wet rag is fine. Timber mate is a brand name we use as wood filler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again!!!

      So sorry, another question.... I've found that timber mate wood filler cracks over time in between mitred architrave joins. What am I doing wrong? Has this ever happened to you? What would happen if I was to use no more gaps in there instead?

      B

      Delete
  4. Ok B. don't shoot the messenger! David's answer is that 'old school' carpenters cut and PVA glue mitres so there is no gap and no pulling apart. No gap filler of any sort should be required. If there's a gap, timber mate it but using no more gaps will work but will probably dry having been sucked back in so a flush finish will be more difficult to achieve. I'm relaying here so hopefully that makes sense! Xx kl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you KL!!!!!! The damp rag tip is fantastic!

    Door frame painting is the WORST job ever! I can now see why painters charge so much. No matter how much i fill the nail holes, sand, and then vacuum the dust, every time I'm about to start painting I find more imprerfections! So frustrating... Painting the doors rested on stands is a breeze... but those frames... I have four doors finished and waiting to be hung... but they can't go up because I haven't yet finished the frames.

    Just as well I have nothing better to do on weekends. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny B!
      A good carpenter is worth paying for fit-out because it avoids issues like these or at least minimises them as they 'scribe' the archs to any slight variations in wall or flloor thus alleviating the need to use much fill. The nail holes though just take patience, but door- jam no. 2 you'll be a pro! X kl

      Delete
    2. The sad thing is we got a pro carpenter... But he clearly wasn't pro enough since he didnt use glue to flush connect the arch corners. Ughhhh

      Oh, and I'm doing 4 frames at once which is why it's a never ending story. Lesson learned.

      Hope you are having a great week.
      B

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL