8.12.12

Making a Curtain Call

I once thought that window coverings were something to consider after you moved in and you were sick to death of sheets stapled to architraves. Ummm...definitely not.
Achieving a beautifully finished room always starts at the design stage and this house, our current project is no exception. 

Due to the ocean views, we maximised the glazing and in order to best utilise cooling breezes, chose functional louvre windows. This decision eliminated the option of having Plantation Shutters (Boo Hoo!) which left me with blinds and curtains as window coverings.

I love the 's' track system for curtains. Here's my inspiration:


Downstairs, I have installed simple roller blinds in the bedrooms, with the intention of having the sheer installed over them later. Blinds will be hung in the family room in due course. I planned for  ceiling pelmets to hide the header where blinds will be used alone, which will look neater when completed.

Upstairs, the same will be done; a combination of blinds and / or sheers where daytime privacy may be required. The open plan formal lounge / dining area though has provided me with a headache due to the varying ceiling heights. I have two options here. The red line indicates the track position, the yellow circle a curve bend in the track.


Pros and Cons:

The pictures above TOP,  illustrate the further possibility of adding a pelmet  to hide ugly brackets in option one. Though this still creates a dust shelf! The pictures above BOTTOM, show the difference between ceiling and wall mounted tracking.

I ADORE the room below where the curtains fall from the ceiling. It's similar in shape to my room but I wonder if the ceiling height change would look odd???
(Love the pendant too. Can anyone identify it?)


All your thoughts, as always, are very gratefully received!!!!
 
x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

7 comments:

  1. I'd go with option 2 - I think it would look better as you've got a definition in the spaces with the ceiling height change. I agree with you re the exposed brackets etc. They are quite ugly, so the ceiling mount will definitely look better. They can be quite tricky can't then?!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning, I'm leaning more towards option 2 too. Thank you for your opinion!
      x KL

      Delete
  2. my vote is for the ceiling mount track with the option to put a gyprock pellet or can you do a slightly dropped ceiling with shadow line cornices and hide the curtain tracking in the gap.......
    Either way option 2 if its an option. Also that pendant I think is .....just copy and paste in google and you should find it. "Eyoi Yoi"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ideal situation would have been hiding the tracks completely in the ceiling with the plaster set up to the tracks but it's too late now! I can't believe I missed the opportunity to do that! Damn. If the track is ceiling mounted there's no need for a pelmet at all. I think option two is garnering support!
      Thanks for suggesting the Eyoi Yoi search but it is definitely not the one pictured. (Though I've loved it forever...) It reminds me of butterflies and I considered it for daughter #1's bedroom but a practical ceiling fan was installed instead!
      Back to the search for that one I'm afraid!
      Thanks for your input; much appreciated! x KL

      Delete
  3. Such a tricky decision KL but I think I would go with the ceiling tracks. It will look much nicer along the top, and I think it would be a neater finish than having some windows and bare wall at the top. Can't believe you did that ceiling sheeting by yourself too - go you! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very strenuous Anna! David and I are still recovering... What do you think about the faux deep hem for the curtains if we go this way?
      x KL

      Delete
  4. I would go with option 2 because I like being practical and being able to block out the sun would be a must for me.

    B

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL