6.8.12

whale watching...

I've been watching, from my laundry window (our temporary kitchen!), the annual whale migration north for over six weeks now...
There seems to be more this year than ever.


Yesterday, we took a whale watching tour from Mosman Bay to get up close and personal and it was FANTASTIC! Below are some snaps of our day....


















J was given the thrill of sailing / steering the boat out through the heads! We saw several albatross and a large pod of dolphins played along side the boat! The weather was perfect and after much searching to the south of Sydney, we found a mother Humpback Whale with a week old calf. She circled quite slowly and close to our catamaran; a Marine Researcher (part of the tour) excitedly telling us that this was a rare sighting...she was suckling the calf and staying close to the surface.

It was a truly magical experience and one that I would thoroughly recommend!

ADDENDUM:
I just watched today's news: a mother humpback whale and her calf were injured after a collision with the Collaroy, a Sydney Ferry at 8:40 this morning. I am hoping they weren't 'our' pair that we watched yesterday but there is every chance they were. They had no fear of boats. So sad. We're hoping they'll recover fully. Fingers & toes firmly crossed.




x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fabulous outing KL <3

    I think you have the most magnificent laundry view ever!!!!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical experience, lucky you. And Oh! to have such a view out of your laundry/kitchen!Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B & Romy. I know I'm lucky...sometimes clearing away the done ironing and ready to fold clothes before I can start dinner makes me forget that! x KL

      Delete
  3. Oh no I hope the whale and calf are ok. Looks like a beautiful way to spend a day. xToni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To have seen them yesterday....it was a gift. The calf in the accident reports appears a wee bit older than the one we saw but I think logic tells me it's the same duo. J and I cried. The pair are being watched to ensure they're OK. I do hope so. Such a traumatic way to remember what was a spectacular day. x KL

      Delete
  4. I thought of you as soon as I saw this :)

    http://www.adairs.com.au/bedroom/quilt-covers-&-coverlets/home-republic/union-jack/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.M.G! As IF I needed more bedlinen for J! LOL! THANK YOU so much B for the link....straight into cart they went! LOVE them! xxxx KL

      Delete
  5. I am so jealous! This is wonderful!! I wish I lived there! :)

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL