2.3.12

Fairs, fabulous freebies and frustrations!

 I visited the Reid Gift Fair on Monday (a gift and home wares industry event). I haven't been for a few years and I invited a non - industry girlfriend along for company. It was fun to re-visit with 'fresh' eyes and although it took longer to navigate, we had a ball.

After getting my knuckles seriously wrapped for taking 'unapproved' i-phone snaps on one exhibitor's stand (so embarrassing), I was reluctant to take any others (approved or not). So 
i have little to share visually. In defence though, I was so excited to see something new and appropriate for a current client that I whipped out my phone, clicked and forwarded before gaining permission (which I'm sure would have been granted had I shown some simple courtesy). Eeeek. So not me...


Anyhoo....I ordered a few things from some favourite suppliers (coral art pieces mostly) and added again to my order placed at the Decoration & Design Fair with a tribal cowrie shell neck piece. I fell in love with it on first sight but as David was with me then, I didn't want to 'push' the limit after he had generously agreed to THE skull purchase.  Last Sunday (the day before the Reid Gift Fair) J, David & I caught the ferry to Palm Beach for lunch at Barrenjoey House. Inside I found this display....


Ahhh... THAT neck piece again! Displayed with skulls and shells and coral....it was like someone had stolen my thoughts and displayed them physically for me! Absolutely serendipitous!!!

I find I'm not posting as often now as I am busy with The Terrigal Project. As mentioned before, I am not an Interior Designer and am now convinced this is not a career path for me to pursue. It is  becoming increasingly obvious that I lack the patience and tact required as I struggle with frequent brief changes from this client. How anyone does this for a living is beyond me.

An update on that project though is shown below:



The roof is off.... and it's pouring! Yes, everyone on the east coast of Australia can blame us. Happens every time!
So the boys are looking for 'inside' work which means it's Gun-ho with two of the three bathrooms. 

As for progress at La Hacienda, we have the nearly free, pool W.C, nearly finished. Toilet roll holder and hooks were found in the garage detritus from ?



The tiles on floor, wall and feature wall were all tiny quantity left overs from previous jobs.


The vanity was another 'freebie'. Incorrectly made for a project and rescued from the rubbish skip. After modifying to suit this area, David decreed it would've been cheaper to have one custom built. (I still need to get customised two-pack doors made) Mmmm, some times you win, other times.... you suck it up and learn a lesson! I got the bowl on sale two years ago for $220.


We couldn't use the quartz / marble top but luckily our stone supplier cut some 'off cuts' of ceasarstone for me and polished the edges for free! Yay!

The W.C (our only big purchase) will be fitted next week and the mirror has been ordered too.
Baby steps, but exciting nonetheless!

It's pouring here, cold and miserable. My lounge for the playroom is being delivered tomorrow. Might be time I told hubby about that one! He He!

x KL 

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, ooh, we're getting a new sofa delivered tomorrow, too. What an exciting way to spend a Saturday!

    As for the shell necklace, I have been coveting that too, but actually purchasing it is at the absolute bottom of the decorating list.

    Have a great weekend
    M
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence, M! Hope your delivery was better than mine with the feet and bases left in China! LOL! I learnt the hard way about buying heart stopping items before they're discontinued. I NEED plaster on my walls but I know I may not get another opportunity to buy that eclectic piece. I drive my practical hubby nuts...hopefully when this house is 'done' everyone will understand?
      x KL

      Delete
  2. Your bathroom looks amazing already! Look forward to seeing it with the mirror and vanity doors installed.

    Do you put extra bracing/support where the hooks, toilet roll holder and tower rails are installed?

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! No, no 'extra' bracing. Will ask for technical know how and get back to you!
      x KL

      Delete
    2. Thank you :)

      We put extra bracing for all the towel rails but not for the toilet roll holders or hooks so I was starting to panick a little *shy*

      b

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL