5.11.11

Christmas thematics

Our 2010 Christmas tree

I L.O.V.E Christmas.
I love the fairy lights, the food, the gifting, the magic, the excitement.
I love the true meaning of and the commercial enterprise. 
 Christmas is all about children and I love that at 9, my son is still wishing he's on Santa's 'good list'.

Everyone gets one new decoration each year. This is the 2011 stash!

I started my own family Christmas tradition when my two girls were young and I became unexpectedly, a single mother. We went shopping as a new, girls only 'family', and we each chose one extra special decoration each to hang on the tree. Every year we repeated the ritual and do so now additionally with my husband and son. Everyone has their own Xmas paper covered shoe box for their personal cache (including the paddle-pop preschool craft items) and every year the unpacking of the growing collection and re-hanging of these treasured items becomes another event to be celebrated together.  
Till last year.
21 and 19 year olds do not want to decorate trees. They want their 'stuff' on it but want Mum to do it. Ditto 8 year old boys. So disappointing. So, in 2010 I had a new idea. An adult tree.
Glossy black, white and sparkling silver as the photo shows above.
It took me a week to put her together and she was divine. Everyone said so - but not my family.
On Christmas Eve when the silver and white co-ordinated stockings were hung, there was a mutiny!
And Santa sided with them! Can you believe it!!! On Christmas morning not a colour coordinated stocking was in sight. The moth-balled, green and red, colour-clashing sequined individual stockings were hanging brimming with accusation and gifts.
The children were so excited. I was more: Ba Hum Bug.

Santa replaced the new white & silver colour-cordinated stockings with our 'old' ones in 2010!

So, we're having a traditional tree this year.
Green and traditional. (With lots of white if I have any say.... which is not bloody likely!) 
Here are my inspirational trees:













I'll post a picture when we're I'm done, if it's at all worth photographing!

Do you choose a Christmas colour theme? What are you planning this year?

x KL
Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment; I love receiving feedback! It helps me get to know you too! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, KL, I love myself a lovely Christmas tradition!!! Ours is to decorate the tree on the last day of school (around 3/4 December for us), as it is only a half day. Our current scheme is brown and teal, and that will do for while we're in the Rent Hous. We will reconsider next year.

    Have fun putting up your tree with your family, oh, I mean, by yourself! I'm sure it will be beautiful and photo-worthy.

    M
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love deciding on a new colour scheme each year. Sometimes my tree stays fairly similar but my Christmas lunch is usually decorated via a colour scheme. In the past I've gone fairly full on with ways to make the look come together - last year I didn't do Chrissy at home so I am looking forward to this year! Still unable to decide on this years colour scheme as yet.

    As for the tree decorations, my kids and I have a tradition of picking one or two special new decos each every chrissy.

    Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree last year was stunning! Can't wait to see what you do this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love Christmas, my favourite time of year by a country mile! Can't get enough of it. and I'm so frustrated that we aren't in our new house already so that I can start planning my theme and decorations. It's going to be so rushed and last minute this year, but I have about 20 huge crates in storage of full of various colour schemes and themes, so I'll probably just go with the first one I lay my hands on. Love your inspiration here though, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL